95 Cabrio Odds and Ends

OK, so I got my 95 Cabrio last year. At the time it had about 75k on it, but it was in unbelievably great condition. It could (it still does actually) pass for a 2 or 3 year old car. Anyhow, I've owned and driven many different cars--new and used--since I started driving 20 years ago; I can still say this is the most-perfect-for-me car I've ever had. And my first VW too. It now has 86k on it... and it's still bolted together like it just came out of the showroom. I really got to wonder of the WVW German ones really are somehow superior to the 3VW Mexico plant ones.

Three things I need to address, any input from r.a.m.v.w will be greatly appreciated.

  1. Last month it developed a miniscule oil leak. Terrified me at first, then after a little research I determined Jiffy Lube probably didn't screw something back in right. Yesterday I took it in for it's due oil/filter change (not to JL this time) and asked Mechanic-Dude to investigate. The Gasket on the oil pan needs replacing. Is that something that's hard or involved to do? Should I get VW to do it, or is that a Sunday project for my boyfriend?

  1. On my manufactured-in-December-1993-1995-model's top, just this past week, a minor separating seam on at the "corner" of the back of the top progressed into being a separated seam consequently graduating into being an actual HOLE. Rut-Roh-Rorge. Anyhow, for the time being, I just put a duct tape patch (on the INSIDE, LOL) to keep it from separating further. I recall looking up "top replacement" last year when I got the car and found that the outer skin part of the top (which is what need to be replaced now) was all of 0. That's fine... a also came across a couple DIY FAQ/Instructions but they were for MK2s not MK3s. Any guidance? Again, I'm not a total klutz, but I'm also I more "home and garden" capable than "car and driver"...

BTW, here's pictures of the developing top hole: The car itself:

  1. Lastly, I've never understood why and it's evidently never been a problem (that I've been able to see), but when I start the car the odometer window blinks some goofy characters. I always wondered if it was some code for something. It's basically "10" (except the zero doesn't have a bottom... making it a big lower case "n") "02"... all together: "1n 02"... here's a picture:

Upon Start:

Anyone know what that's about? I always intended to check.

Thanks in Advance... the group has always been a wonderful resource.

--S. John

Reply to
S John M-M

If it is not VR6, then oil pan is not obstructed by front axle as far as I remenber, also is not difficult to take it off. But it is a very messy job, prepare yourself to get dirty.

Anyway, I would take a good look again, as the oil pan gasket does leak not so often. Does the oil comes from the "end" of the engine? Crank shaft (spelling??) seals do wear out and leak much more often as oil pan gasket.

It is just a service reminder, nothing dramatical. Actually there are three of them: OEL - change an oil. Here in europe it comes every 15000km's. IN 01 - "small" service inspection. Don't remember how much km's it is. IN 02 - "big" service inspection. Don't remember how much km's it is.

IN 00 (i believe) means everything is ok.

All of them can be "reset" by playing with a ignition key and trip counter button as described in users manual. It is also possible to "configure" the desired mileage for any of them.

Reply to
Draugaz

Actually, I didn't get a book-- boot for the top, yeah, manual? No. Anyhow, anyone with a 95 Golf manual wanna look it up? Yeah, I know... I should order one.

Thanks for the input :-)

--S. John

Reply to
S John M-M