95 Cabrio Trunk Jammed HELP!!!

Yesterday morning, I subconsciously halfway noticed that the button-keyhole affair on the trunk lid of my 1995 Cabrio felt kind of "springier" than it was supposed to. Anyhow, later on the next time I tried opening it, the button wouldn't release the latch. I've never used the key for it, when I first got the car (w/o the owner's manual) I just put it so that it locked with the doors.

Anyhow, I put a small window unit air conditioner in the trunk a couple days ago (it's from a friend, for another friend) and I suspect it must have shifted and banged the inside of the trunk door.

Now, when I put the key in the hole, I can get it to turn all the way counterclockwise (so it's pointing at 9 & 3) and vertically (12 & 6) but it won't go all the way to clockwise (3 & 9)... is THAT the position that would pop it open? I never really paid attention since I just used the locking for the whole car. When I am "fiddling with the key" it feel and sound like something on the interior of the lid has come unmounted... like it's supposed to be fixed, but the assembly the key hole button is part of isn't attached to what it's supposed to be.

My book bag (with my wallet, cel phone charger, checkbook, pretty much everything but my keys, LOL) is also trapped in there too. AND we're going out of town Friday... I need my tiny bit of trunk space.

After a Google search it seems trunk latches are complained about. Me?

11 years and 90k I think it's held up well.

If anyone can help me open it (or the even unlatch the seat back so I can get the book bag out) I'd be forever grateful.

TIA,

--S. John

Reply to
S John M-M

Been awhile, but if it's how I remember and it's like the sedan, use the ignition key in the buttons at the top of the seat back cushion to unlock the seat back. Press the button down to unlatch and swing the back down.

Hope that helps, Mark '95 Jetta GLS

Reply to
Mark Randol

The same thing happened to my 1988 Cabbie Convertible, which has a mechanical trunk lock rather than one electrically operated. What had happened was that the linkage from the lock to the latch came loose.

I was able to get into the trunk by (carefully) removing the carpet-covered lid behind the back seat. You will have to do a little prying to get it out, because you can't lower the seat back. If you happened to ruin the lid getting it out, I've seen some advertised on eBay for just a few bucks.

Reply to
Papa

I should emphasize that my car is a 1988 Cabbie.. I don't know whether my procedure will work on your 1995 car.

Reply to
Papa

Thanks for the input... I'll climb back there this morning and see how evident possible removal is. I'd just kind of assumed that that shelf was fixed in place. I'll report back.

--S. John

Reply to
S John M-M

Wanted to thank everyone for the input.

Anyhow, the metal shelf on the mk3s is pretty much welded in. At least from what I could tell. I did however not only get in the trunk, I actually FIXED it. I feel so butch.

Headed to the dealer at lunch Friday, and ultimately the mechanic gave me the instructions of what to do adding "you can't get into that trunk without breaking SOMETHING." He pretty much told me to drill a hole in a particular spot under where the license plate is-- in fact, he drilled a pilot hole for me. When I got home, I made a triangular

1x1x2 hole in the plastic body part that the license plate assembly is on and there it was, a silver wire/cord thing... tugged it up and to the right and bingo-- or maybe "open sesame". Anyway, I disassembled the interior cover over the deck lid to find the mounting for the key hole button was in fact busted. Using a combination of washers, spacers, screws, and bolt from my toolbox I got it reattached and secure. What did surprise me is that there's some cord with a little exposed metal flap on the side (imagine a UBS cable with a metal wing) that seemed to have come out of the hole it belonged in right at the post and claw that actually physically closes the trunk. Once I plugged it back in and cable tied it into place, everything's working normally. Anyhow, I'm not electrocuted and I still have all my fingers and it works, so I call this a success.

I used heavy black duct tape to cover the hole and put the plate back on. Lastly, I'm pretty sure that A/C unit smashed up on the inside of the lid causing this ordeal-- in other words, while it might be construable as a fallible design, I'm more inclined to call this my fault. I've read some scathing Cabrio complaints on the 'Net. I just want say this car is rock solid and I feel confident it'll hold up at least ANOTHER 100k miles. Maybe it's the German Built ones from 95 and

96, but it's reliable, steady, comfortable, and has never let me down.

--S. John

Reply to
S John M-M