95 Golf losing antifreeze

I've got a 95 golf VR6 that is losing antifreeze. There doesn't appear to be any puddles under it but over a week I lose about a liter. I have read that there is often a leak where the plastic block with the temperature senders are attached to the block. Is it possible to lose that much out of the temperature sending block on the engine without leaving a puddle? Also, the water system always seems to have pressure even when the engine is cold. Is that normal? Any ideas would be appreciated Thanks Brian

Reply to
Pumps

Don't know much about the VR6, but I'll give it a go anyway. So here. .

Reply to
Mark Randol

The constant pressure is a dead-giveaway.

You have a small head-gasket leak. The coolant is going out your tailpipe, but not in large enough quantities to be obvious. Are there especially large quantities of white smoke (steam) and a slightly sweet smell from the exhaust when you start up in the morning?

Not much to do about it other than save your pennies toward the replacement. Keep a sharp eye on it however... it will only get worse and sometimes suddenly.

At a guess ~150,000 - 200,000km?

Peter Wieck Wyncote, PA

Reply to
pfjw

The head gasket was my biggest concern, but I really don't want to fix this right now. Not quite the Christmas gift I was expecting. I haven't noticed excess exhuast steam, but it's been cold around here, so it's hard to say. It did seem to be a bit more than usual when I started it last night, but I couldn't smell the telltale exhaust sweetness. I had also taken the cap off the coolant system and made sure it was not pressurized, and then started it and ran it for 2 minutes. There was pressure on the system after just that time, so I started to suspect exhaust pressurization in the system. The problem has slowly gotten worse ever since a heater hose went a few months back, so I suspect it overheated at that time. Thanks for your response, Brian

Reply to
Pumps

If the options are between spending $$$$$ to fix the head-gasket, or to experiment with (relatively) proven technology for small leaks, you might try that.

You might be at that magic stage when OTC "Miracle Shytte" might just do the trick. Read that website through and google a few others so you understand the limitations of the material and process. As long as your head is not cracked, this stuff (Sodium Silicate) has a shot at working if you are careful and follow directions.

Peter Wieck Wyncote, PA

Reply to
pfjw

Everyone seems to like the most expensive problems most...

More things to try to verify a head gasket leak. Any bubbles from the coolant after 2 minutes? Check the plugs. When I've had coolant leaks, even slow ones, into the intake on other vehicles I could see the coolant deposits on the ones in the cylinder where the leak was. The location probably won't help you much without opening the engine, but at least it verifies that's where the coolant is going.

It's still worth checking the cheaper, easier stuff.

I don't know much about this sodium silicate stuff, but the old rule of thumb was if it'll plug a leak, it'll plug the system too. 'Course, if the alternative is to open up the engine anyway...

Mark '95 Jetta GLS

Reply to
Mark Randol

I not sure that this miracle Shytte will work, as the problem is a combination of coolant leak and compression gases in the coolant. I think I just have to make the plans to do the job and do it right. Do you have any experience using the '96 metal head gasket vs.the older fiber version? It seems that there are a few notes about using the newer gasket but I don't want to do anything that might damage the engine. Brian

Reply to
Pumps