95 golf - oil light blinks at idle

I have a '95 golf (2.0L, 5-speed). The red oil light on the console recently started blinking sometimes at idle (while waiting at a stoplight, etc). It goes out immediately when the engine speed increases. Ideas?

I suppose I should measure the oil pressure. Where can I get a gauge?

tf

Reply to
Tobin Fricke

You can get a gauge at most decent parts stores. What should the pressure be; i don't know that one. Oil light problems on another vehicle I've owned was caused by the oil pump. They get worn and the clearances aren't tight enough. They look okay but won't pump enough oil. The other thing might using a lower grade of oil than needed; such as

5W20 instead of 10W30 or 40.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

Have you recently changed to a thinner oil (or has it been a long time since the last change)? Also, hot weather can thin out your oil tripping your pressure sensor.

It could be an oil pressure sensor on the fritz. This is a fairly common problem with these cars- it happened to mine. On my car, it was the oil pressure sensor on the side of the motor. It looks a little bit like a spark plug with a rubber boot and a wire sticking out if it. It may even be leaking a little. That's a good sign it's bad. There's usually another one on top of the oil filter. Try looking up the part on autopartswarehouse.com (or wherever) and seeing what yours looks like. They're fairly inexpensive and pretty easy to replace.

Good luck!

Reply to
Ears

pump. They get worn and the clearances aren't tight enough. They look okay but won't pump enough oil. The other thing might using a lower grade of oil than needed; such as

5W20 instead of 10W30 or 40. ------- Lower oil viscosity would aggravate the problem . You use a higher viscosity oil to increase pressure because of increased clearances in bearings and the oil pump. .
Reply to
None4You

Check your oil pressure with a mechanical gauge from a cold to a warm engine.

You will probably need to change the oil pump unless you are lucky and it is just the pickup screen clogged with debris. I have seen the plastic windage tray, or other things chewed up and clogging the screen. Cleaned it out and the oil pumps were fine! The 2.0l plastic windage tray was damaged after the oil pan was dented. The "other things" were timing chain guides in a VR6 engine.

Yours is easy to do! ;-)

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1