95 Golf - what ATF to use (WV ATF or Dexron)?

Hi All,

I have a 95 Golf III GL with automatic transmission (type 096 CNK). It seems ATF was never changed, so I am about to do it. But there is a problem: all manuals (Bentley et al) and "Volkswagen internal documents" I've got are ambiguous on what ATF to use. Basically what they say is: "Use either Dexron or VW ATF (G 052 162 A1/A2), but do not mix them!". Since the ATF change takes about a half of dry-fill (3 liters vs. 5.6 liters), I assume half of the old ATF going to stay, so I have to use the ATF kind which already there. Are there any reliable ways to identify what ATF (VW or Dexron) in a transmission now?

Thank you!

Reply to
DG

Jim B.

Reply to
jimbehning

That's where I started. Two or three shops told me they don't do VW's transmissions because they require special tools. One VW dealerships asked $350 for the ATF change and at another one mechanics recommended me not to worry about ATF, since it's good for "lifetime".

Reply to
DG

"Lifetime" fluid means nothing. My 99.5 Golf has "lifetime" fluid, and my parents 1993 Volvo 960 has "lifetime" fluid too... my VW dealer recomends ATF fluid to be done at 85-100K Kms, going with the earlier numbers if the tranny is starting to shift rougher, mine was done at 90K Kms with the 90K service - smoothed things out nicely, it was around $300 because it's a synthetic fluid, labour costs, disposal fees etc... The Volvo dealer recommends around 100K Kms or 4-5 years (if it's a low KM car). The Volvo has had it twice already, shifting as good as the day it was bought (only

150K Kms on it) - we change it every 3 years, due to the fact it's used as a tow car in the summer.
Reply to
Rob Guenther

100% agree.

Well, when you go to a dealership, the only thing you know for sure - you gonna pay good. Unfortunately, I've seen dealerships mechanics incompetence and bad job so many times, that I try to do whatever I can myself (or go to a good independent shop) - not for saving money but to be sure the service is done properly.

Reply to
DG

You might search the vwvortex archives. And here are some web pages to check out:

Bill

Reply to
William Maslin

We've not had good luck with the only VW shop around here, our dealer is quite competant (albeit expensive). I'm learning to do more things myself, but I don't have the equipment or the knowledge to drain the tranny fluid and put new stuff in.

I have a good VW/Audi shop I can go to, but it's almost 100kms away, so the money I save I have to lose in the time it takes to get there - it's a huge pain in the ass, it's way out in the boonies.

We've only had luck with dealer mechanics in our area... They aren't even much more money either - I never go for cheaper aftermarket parts anyways, I always will either go OEM, or buy a really expensive aftermarket part - I don't trust stuff that costs less then the original part... Maybe it's because i'm young and foolish... I dunno

incompetence

Reply to
Rob Guenther

There are good and bad dealership service departments. I would do some recon before I would take it to a certain dealer. Ask to see the customer letter bulletin board if applicable. If the dealership has a good rep, they usually have loads of satified customers and this will show up with thank you letters sent to service. If they don't have that, stay away.

I would also just browse the lot and get to know the sales folks. Sometimes they slip up and will tell you their opinions if the service end is good. I would also take a peek at the service bays and see if they are organized. Ask how many lead techs they have. If you do go for service, ask for a lead tech. I would get to know them by visiting the dealership when the lunch truck comes and see who has a lead tech name label and start chatting with them.

Last, the best thing is to have more than one vehicle and do the work yourself. :-)

Reply to
Peter Parker