95 GTI 2.0 Starting Problems

I have been having this problem for about a month now. When i go to start my car after it has been sitting for about 15 hours or so, it takes about 25 times to start. I have to hold my gas to the floor as well while i am starting it. It also smokes like crazy from the front when it fails to start up. Once i get it started it runs ok, but when i come to a stop it idles at about 500 RPM and seems like it wants to stall out. I am thinking it is something to do with the fuel filter or spak plugs or something. PLEASE HELP! THANKS

Reply to
beatle1414

Smokes from the front? I think you want to identify the source of that smoke more precisely.

I would tend to not think fuel filter; that would be more of a problem at speed.

Look for arcing around the coils and plug wires in the dark while you have a problem.

Reply to
Tom's VR6

You need a MECHANIC!!!!

Reply to
Peter Parker

start with an engine service (AKA tune-up) might be so many things like spark plugs, ign. wires, ign coil/transformer, dist. cap and rotor, etc. Oh and some change the CTS (Coolant Temperature Sensor for the fuel injection) also I suspect that this might be your problem and you can check it with an Ohm meter. ;-)

then tell us what you find and if the problem is still there.

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

"" wrote: > In rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled, beatle1414 wrote: > > >I have been having this problem for about a month now. When i > go to > >start my car after it has been sitting for about 15 hours or > so, it > >takes about 25 times to start. I have to hold my gas to the > floor as > >well while i am starting it. It also smokes like crazy from > the front > >when it fails to start up. > > Smokes from the front? I think you want to identify the > source of > that smoke more precisely. > > > Once i get it started it runs ok, but when > >i come to a stop it idles at about 500 RPM and seems like it > wants to > >stall out. > >I am thinking it is something to do with the fuel filter or > spak plugs > >or something. > > I would tend to not think fuel filter; that would be more of a > problem at speed. > > Look for arcing around the coils and plug wires in the dark > while > you have a problem.

yea i get blue smoke coming out of my Intake system. the smoking stops once the car starts. I changed the plugs today and it still didn?t help.

Reply to
beatle1414

timing belt slipped a tooth or two? shouldn't ever get smoke from the intake, just shouldn't happen.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel