95 Jetta III weirdness

Okay so I have been noticing something weird I don't know if anyone else has had this issue or not. So it seems whenever my Jetta gets right around 1/2 empty it will start acting up on me. It is considerably noticeable when it is really hot outside. So what will happen is it sometimes will jerk a little like it is not getting gas or something if I hit the gas pedal and give it some RPMs it seems to do better. Or if I am at a dead stop and start going it will kinda spudder a little and again if I give it some gas and RPM's it stops. Now on hot days especially right around 45 mph its like the engine almost stops I have to downshift almost stop and then go again and its fine if I keep it above 45 or below?? and again this is only when it is on 1/2 a tank of gas or below??? Now i did have the fuel pump replaced in April it is brand new. So I was thinking maybe I need to take the fuel injectors out and clean them or maybe a fuel filter??? Or maybe I should put some of that fuel injector cleaner in next time I fill up what does anyone think?? Thanks ahead of time guys

Reply to
Mike Stafford

Fuel filter and good gas.

Reply to
Ears

Did this happen before the new fuel pump? Is that why you put a new one in?

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

No weirdness, it's most probably a clogged fuel filter...

Reply to
al

It only started after the new fuel pump so that's why i was thinking probably a bad or clogged filter. Before I bought the car it sat for probably 2 years in AZ my sister didn't take care of it at all. I had to replace the front brakes completely, new thermostat, new radiator, and the fuel pump so I am thinking it's just clogged I just wanted to be sure. Does anyone know how easy these are to replace I would imagine its under the car near the tank. I'll change at school cause we have car racks there I can use in class.

Reply to
Mike Stafford

You will have fun. Your one and only fuel pump should be housed inside of a plastic case locked to the bottom of the gas tank. If the whole unit (pump and case) was changed make sure that it is securely locked to the gas tank. If just the pump was changed you will have to make sure that the pump is correctly installed inside of its casing with the hose and possibly screen attached.

I have only had to change one of these pumps and the trickest part IMHO was unlocking it and getting it in and out of the tank.

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Yeah, that sounds right. All the crud in the tank got stirred up when replacing the pump and got caught in the filter.

The filter is just ahead of the right rear wheel in a plastic cage. It's held on by a 'sheet metal nut'. If you're careful they're reusable. The hose ends are clamped on with crimped bands. Use the 'spring bands' to replace them unless you have a band crimper to do it as OEM.

Look at the hoses while you're there. I've had the pump to filter, filter to engine compartment and feed line to fuel rail hoses replaced. Since it's also an AZ car, I'd suspect yours are suspect unless they've already been replaced.

If you are in the the Phoenix area, east valley, I can recommend a shop for the stuff you don't want/have time to do.

Mark

Reply to
Mark Randol

I actually live in Northern Colorado but thank you all when classes start up I will put it up on the rack and get it replaced. I bought it from my sister cause she wasn't taking very good care of the car. It had about a inch of dust on it from sitting but she is running really good now.

Reply to
Mike Stafford