95 Passat VR6 heater prob

95 Passat VR6, new heater core, two new hoses from heater to engine and heater to electric recirc pump. New electric recirc pump. Winter's coming and it only blows slightly warm air and only when the water temp is finally around 80 deg C. Hose from the engine to the heater gets quite warm (I would say hot), the one exiting back to the electric recirc stays cool, or nowhere near so warm.

Engine warms up normally, so no problem with the thermostat. I checked the heater controls in the dash and the attachment of the cables to the heater body under the dash and everything seems normal.

Any idea what would be blocking the flow of water through the heater core? If I understand it right, the temperature of water to the heater is always whatever the engine water temp is, and the hot air comes from air being redirected through the heater core instead of bypassing it.

Thanks in advance to all you gurus out there.

Malabo

Reply to
malabo

Mystery solved. Started pulling hoses at the thermostat housing and worked back to see where the blockage was. Everything was fine until I checked the new hose going from the engine to the heater core. A small ball of soft rubber sh.t was plugging it in the swelled part just past where the small hose goes to the intake air sensor. Blew it out, reinstalled everything and now the heater can cook an egg.

Glad I didn't pull the dash out again to look at the heater core - just pulling off the bottom footwell air distribution box allowed enough of a look inside the heater box with a flashlight to confirm that all the air flow deflector baffles were working fine. That left either the new heater core plugged, a new hose plugged, or the new electric recirc pump plugged.

New hose, who would have thought?

Malabo

Reply to
malabo

good info and glad you easily found the problem. Now everyone will inspect even the new parts going in their ride. ;-)

later, dave (One out of many daves)

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1