95 VR6 Fuel Pump Questions

Car has been having some hard start issues but no hesitations, couple of stalls at idle very rarely. Today big problems! Car started in morning, then drove about 15 highway miles at about 80mph no problems. Car sat for about 2 hours then started up - no problems. Went about 2 miles stop and go - then major problems. Car started bucking, died - started then died a minute or two later. Pulled off side of road and tried repeatedly to restart. After sitting a few minutes tried again - seem to want to catch for a second then nothing - kept trying until battery went out.

Towed car home - thanks AAA, and started checking. Fuses fine, but tried listening to fuel pump when friend tried starting - couldn't feel it or hear it. Checked relay - actually opened relay to see if it was functioning. Relay will close for a second when key placed in on position, Fully closed and hold when attempting to start. Never heard fuel pump.

Now in Bentley it says to check pins on fuel pump connector. It doesn't say which one - only illustration show in first and last position - is this correct to test for voltage?

If don't get voltage at plug, then what else. Will try to jump to battery relay position with fuse jumper wire and retest position at fuse to test circuit.

Do I assume that fusebox relay is ok if it closes or is it possible that voltage is not running through relay? I'm also assuming that key (electrical portion is ok).

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Reply to
stim141

from memory there is 3 or 4 wires to the fuel pump connector. But finding the pump wires is easy... it's a heavy gauge brown wire and the other heavy gauge wire. The thinner wires are for the float sender.

Reply to
Lost In Space/Woodchuck

Thanks, will check it today. Would you recommend getting a pump from a salvage yard if I find the pump bad? Hopefully I'll get power at the pump connector otherwise its going to be a long weekend trying to trace down the faulty electrical connections at the fusebox.

Reply to
stim141

Its not a good idea to buy used automotive pumps (fuel, power steering, or whatever). Why install something that could fail the next day?

Reply to
Papa

Well, will be getting rid of the car in less than 2 months. Bought one from Specialized German for 50 dollars whereas a new pump runs about 200 online through a discounter. Specialized gives a 6 month warranty - so I'm covered.

It was definately the pump - got voltage reading at plug end and it does what it is supposed to do. At least my electrical is not faulty - hate tracing VW wiring. Went through that a couple of months ago!

Reply to
stim141

was your pump the in-tank type and if so how did you get it out? I have a 1990 passat and can't lift the pump housing out of the tank to replace pump any help appreciated.

Reply to
stretfordmongrel

On my 95 Golf, you have to twist the pump (counterclockwise?...I can't remember) to release the pump from locking tabs that are on the bottom of the tank.

Reply to
William Maslin