96 Cabrio 2.0 stumbles off acceleration?

I've a 96 Cabrio with the 2.0L engine. When backing off the accelerator the engine seems to 'stumble' somewhat.

That happens driving along at just about any speed. For example, in traffic moving along at about 40mph and the pace slows so I'll back off the accelerator. The engine seems to "cut out" for an instant, just a split-second. It doesn't quit entirely and doesn't *feel* like there's any sort of electrical loss of power. It almost seems like the fuel supply is being cut for less than a tenth of a second. The car jerks slightly and then everything's fine. It's entirely repeatable.

I recently had it serviced because of this problem along with a pronounced "bogging" during initial acceleration and the idiot light being lit. The engine code was for the O2 sensor (replaced) and they cleaned out the throttle body. It was rather gummed up and showed signs of a drip or two on the air filter. The car's got 68k miles on it and hasn't had any other service done beyond oil, plugs, cap, rotor, wires and filters (which were all replaced a month of so before the recent work). Other than this it's been a truly great car.

Before I take this back to the shop and complain I'd like to hear what folks think might be the problem. I'm less than pleased that the shop didn't resolve the problem and overcharged me in the process (let's not go THERE yet).

Thanks,

-Bill Kearney

Reply to
wkearney99