96 cabrio help, what the part inside black styrofoam in trunk?

OK, if anyone can tell me what this part is and it's function. It's located in the trunk on the right side and it's encased in black styrofoam. Looks like some kind of motor. On my daughters car, it was making a huming noise, even with car shut off. I unplugged the connector. Is it for the power lock system? Thanks.

Reply to
dukecola

sounds right to me. That car probably has a leak in the power lock system and the pump will run for an unusually long time.

Fix that leak and reconnect the pump and all should be good again. Look for a lock that does not function (lock or unlock) such as a door or the gas flap. Might even be the rear trunk latch. When you find out which one it is, then listen for leaks with the pump running.

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Yup. Sounds like the pump for the central locking.

On my 1986 Jetta it's on the left side of the trunk. Makes a very distinctive sound when it operates.

Laura Halliday VE7LDH "Non sequitur. Your ACKS are Grid: CN89mg uncoordinated." ICBM: 49 16.05 N 122 56.92 W - Nomad the Network Engineer

Reply to
laura halliday