96 golf radiator replacement

The radiator on my son's 96 golf with AT and AC is leaking. I've replaced radiators on older cars with less crowded engine compartments and not AT or AC. What is the level of difficulty in making this replacement? A VW mechanic with a pretty good reputation calculates this to be a $416 job based on $140 radiator, 3 hours labor @ $80, fluids, etc. but I will do the job myself unless the NG points out special difficulties.

Roger

Reply to
Wiley Post

Basically it is easier to pull off the front bumper and all its supporting hardware and pull the radiator out that way.

Reply to
SnoBrdr

Yes take off the front header panel.

Reply to
DogDiesel

2.0l?

While you're in there, may as well replace the hoses. They're WAY easier to get at while the front end is off!

Also, replace the fan belt.

Just in case, have the plastic tube for the engine oil dipstick handy. The dealers used to stock them, but that was several years ago. They said they get broken all the time. I could never manage to not break it while working in that area.

Do the auto's have a tranny cooler mounted to the front cross member? Any 'gotcha's' with that? Good time to R&R the tranny fluid?

Mark '95 Jetta GLS (gone) '08 Jetta

Reply to
Mark