96 Jetta, battery change - Radio "Safe" mode

Well, the dreaded battery change on my '96 Jetta finally came today. Went over to the local Autozone, bought the battery and installed it no problem. The engine runs fine after the change, but I didn't anticipate the radio going into "Safe" mode. I did some reading of the newsgroup archives, and it seems like the consensus is that the dealer must be involved to get the unlock code. Is that true? This seems like another VW over engineered electrical "feature". BTW, I don't have the radio manual . . . The car was purchased used, and none of the manuals were with the car. I am almost tempted to ditch the #*$*% radio and get an in dash cd/am/fm installed. Any opinions?

Reply to
Mike W

Not having the code means a visit to the dealer, and afterwards don't loose the code... write it down! You could remove the radio and stop by and see if the dealer will look up the code. At our dealer it's free if you prove you own the car. Personally what I do at work since no one ever has the code in the car or remembers the code, I connect a small 10amp battery charger to the cables to keep the car alive while changing the battery. I made myself an adapter which plugs into the cig lighter which saves a lot of time in that I don't need to pull the radio to get the numbers. But then again this could be your BIG chance to get a NEW radio just for Christmas!

Reply to
Woodchuck

Be sure to check your owner's manual and other documentation that came with the car. Chances are one of them had the code written on it. If you got it used and it did not come with this data, sorry. If you failed to keep that stuff, too bad.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

[SNIP]

Reply to
Darryl

Some of the radio codes were left on a tag under the trunk carpet if left there from the PDI, check there.

Reply to
Woodchuck

Yes, look around under the trunk carpeting. I went to the dealer to get the code (for free) and found the tag three years later.

--Andy

Reply to
Andrew

Alas, this is not a standard procedure so I doubt all dealerships do this. I would get the tool to take out the radio and then write down the tag information and take it to the dealer with proof of vehicle ownership.

Reply to
Peter Parker

In his original post he stated he got the car used and there were no papers with it .

Joe R (2+2=4, Itilian math)

Reply to
Joe R