96 JETTA ENGINE CODES

how do i read the engine codes? check engine light is on. thanks

Reply to
a307

You need a scan tool. There are a lot of them on the market and prices can run up into the several thousand dollar range.

For VW/Audi use only, the best bang-per-buck ratio comes from Ross Tech:

For $200 you can get the entry level interface (which will work fine on your 96 Jetta) and a full working version of the software. The only other thing you would need is a computer/laptop to install the VAG COM software on (eBay has an endless supply of cheap laptops).

I've been using the VAG COM software for a few years now and works great, I can do just about anything with it that I could do with the official VW scan tools, which do cost many thousands of dollars and are now prone to crashing since the software for those was rushed due to that "sudden" release of some SUV. :)

Reply to
Pencilneck