96 Jetta fuse blowing

interior lights and power door locks don't work. Fuse blew. Replaced the fuse and it blew right away. Yup, second one did, too.

I haven't done much electrical work on cars, but this scenario seems bad. is there any thing I can do short (sorry) of tracing the wires where accessible to look for broken insulation? Or is that where I should start now? Is this a "send it to the repair shop and let them try to find it" issue?

Reply to
Greg

What else is on the circuit?

Could try unplugging the vacuum pump and see if it still blows.

The rear door harness is still my 'first place to check' for nearly anything weird electrical. Have a wire break and short out, there ya' go. But I wouldn't count it as likely.

On the '95s there was a harness that ran under the battery tray, right in the drip path for the corrosion from the positive battery terminal. I caught it after it ate the sheath, but before it ate into the wiring. I don't remember what all was in the harness, but it's something to check and a reason to make sure you keep your battery posts clean.

Also on '95s, the seat heaters had a relay under the seat that would get crushed when the seat was lowered if someone left stuff in the floor and it rolled under the seat. For '95 I don't think that affected the systems you mentioned. The way VW likes to change things around though...

Hopefully someone has something more definitive.

Mark

Reply to
Mark

I would bridge the blown fuse socket with a fairly high brightness lamp, such as an old headlight with a working section. If that does not compute with you, ask a friend who is more electrically inclined to help. You could maybe solder wires to an old blown fuse to help make the connection at the fuse panel.

The lamp should glow when current passes, with the brightness depending on how much current is being drawn. Then disconnect loads, and wiggle things to see the effect. If the problem is intermittent, the wiggling may tell you right where the short is.

Reply to
Tom's VR6

Check all the door wiring harnesses. MK3 volkswagen are TERRIBLE for the wires becoming brittle & then breaking at the hinge. Just pull the rubber boot back at the door hinge & it should be pretty obvious.

Craig

Reply to
Craig

listen to Craig!!!! probably the LF door, but you can unlock & unplug the door harnesses so finding out which one is very easy!!

hmmm BTW did you drop a dime/penny in the cigarette lighter socket! ;-)

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1