96 Jetta GL Check Engine Light ON

I have a 96 Jetta GL and the Check Engine Light came on recently. I had the oxygen sensors changed about a year ago and I was told that the life of those was approx. 5 years. Could they have gone out so soon or are there other things that I am not checking to solve this problem. Car has all fluids full and oil was changed a week before the Check Engine Light came on. Any help appreciated. Alan

Reply to
afischli

Your CEL/MIL could come on for about 100 different reasons and without knowing the fault code, well one is LOST!

the oxygen sensors changed about a year ago and I was told that the life of those was approx. 5 years. Could they have gone out so soon or are there other things that I am not checking to solve this problem. Car has all fluids full and oil was changed a week before the Check Engine Light came on.

Reply to
Woodchuck

oxygen sensors changed about a year ago and I was told that the life of those was approx. 5 years. Could they have gone out so soon or are there other things that I am not checking to solve this problem. Car has all fluids full and oil was changed a week before the Check Engine Light came on.

Does the '96 code when the gas cap is loose? What the heck. It's cheap and easy to check.

Mark '95 Jetta GLS

Reply to
Mark Randol