'96 Jetta GLS Check Engine light

I just purchased a 96 Jetta GLS the other day. Two days into having my "new" car, the check engine light came on. I did a little google search, and found that if the fuel cap is loose that can cause it to come on. Each time I've fuled up I made sure the cap was tight so I know that is not the problem.

I just ordered a Bentley, but it won't be here for a little while. Anyone know if you can get it to flash out the code like you can on some cars? I'd like to know whats going on before I spend money at the shop. It seems to be running great- I have had no problems whatsoever with the car.

Thanks!

Reply to
nireld

Go to autozone. They'll do a diagnostic for free, and it may be something you can fix. One of my cars did that and the #3 cylinder wasn't firing correctly. Changed the plugs(they were due anyway), and the wires. Voila!

Hope that helps!

-Larry

Also.. There may be nothing wrong. Try unhooking the negative battery cable for 30 minutes to clear the computer. That might help(although you have to reset the time/reprogram your stations)

Reply to
LC

My local BAP does it too.

If you try this...

REMEMBER TO FIND YOUR RADIO UNLOCK CODE FIRST SO YOU DON'T LOCK YOURSELF OUT OF YOUR RADIO!!!

Otherwise we'll be explainin' how you have to go to the dealer to get the radio code, etc...

Mark '95 Jetta GLS

Reply to
Mark Randol