96 Jetta oil leak at filter

I have a 1996 VW Jetta GLS with the gasoline engine and automatic transmission.

I recently changed the oil and oil filter. The filter I used was a Fram. Shortly after I noticed that it started leaking oil around the filter. So I replace the filter with another Fram and again it started leaking oil. However, the second time the leak was so bad that the oil looked like it was leaking from the oil pan gasket. I replaced the oil pan gasket and kept the same Fram filter only to find out there is no leak at the oil pan gasket but at the filter (or around it). When I removed the first Fram filter and looked at the filter base, it looked fine. The filter seal seemed fine too.

I am trying to find out if either Fram filters (which I have used for

20 years) are suddenly defective or if VW Jetta 2.0 motors have a problem around the oil filter base.

Any one with information PLEASE advise.

Reply to
David

Make sure there's no junk, or an old filter base seal, on the sealing surface the filter screws onto.

Also double check the filters are the correct size :) Check another brand and compare the seal sizes.

IIRC, the base the filter screws onto is an oil cooler. Most times I've heard it fail the coolant and oil mix, but I imagine, not knowing any better, that it could fail by leaking oil externally . It would be weird tho'.

BTW, Fram filters aren't 'suddenly' defective. There have been critics of how cheap their construction has been for 5-10 years. (check Google) Their spin on filters were banned from one of the motorcycle racing circuits for at least awhile after a couple incidents where they blew off the bike, dumping the crankcase's contents, and the rider, onto the track surface.

I'd use 'em in a pinch, but mostly I use Bosch or Mahle filters on the VW.

Mark '95 Jetta GLS

Reply to
Mark Randol

Make sure you haven't left the old gasket on the engine. Baz

Reply to
Baz

You need to check where that oil is coming from. Oil pressure switch, but you would see that. Oil cooler has a seal between it and the oil filter mount. Oil Filter has it's own seal and I doubt if this is your problem unless you have two seals installed.

The stud that holds both the oil cooler and the oil filter to the oil filter mount might be loose or the nut that secures the oil cooler may be loose. If I had to vote on what is wrong I would say the oil cooler seal is bad.

ALSO get a proper oil filter like MANN, but I guess you might find other brands locally that are considered better than Fram. I think Purolators and even Bosch are better than Fram. ;-)

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

I second this. It happens, and it leads to very sudden leaking right after a filter change. Once you have it happen, you will always check to make sure the old gasket came off with the old filter before putting the new one on. On a related note, I've also learned the hard way to inspect filters at the store to see if they've been dropped and dented or bent. I always take them out of the box and then look at them from the side to see if the gasket and mounting surfaces are flat and true.

Reply to
Brian Running

David,

I own a 1996 Jetta GLS w/standard transmission. Last year the o-ring above the oil cooler developed a crack. Six months prior to that, an oil pressure sensor blew a leak in its diaphragm. My manual shows two sensors. One is above the cooler assembly. The cooler is held in place by one large nut. Remove the filter, and the nut will be seen under it. The filter, nut, cooler and o-ring are all concentric on the shaft that the filter mounts to. The o-ring is like 2-1/4" in diameter.

Good luck

ps - There is also a filter housing-to-engine block gasket, but I haven't had any problems with it.

Reply to
RepairJunkie

I read all the responses and so far nobody mentioned anything about having a possible high oil pressure. This usually happens to American V8 engines where the oil pressure is so high, it blows out the oil filter at the first high rev. The other responses were quite good. I would try a MANN oil filter or something other than FRAM. Try STP or a Mobile one filter?

Reply to
Peter Parker

have had problems with the O ring above the oil cooler. I have never heard of these oil leaks except in nasty cold weather... anyway you need to take the stud that the oil filter screws on off. There is a nut on the top. or you can work a deep socket and swivel (1 1/16 Think) and slid the cooler down. You can work from the top and get the old special O ring off (it is a Pain) clean the surface and install the new ring without draining the coolant (leave coolant hoses on cooler) Not bad job after you do it once... First time is a pain.. common problem on 93-99. If you have the Bentley book there is a picture on page 17-1 but really just look and the O ring fits between the cooler and the bracket (the peice that has the oil pressure sender switch on it).

Reply to
newsviewer