96 VW Golf AT sensor?

My 96 Golf, automatic transmission, will not turn over - I believe because there is a problem with the transmission sensor/electronics...the display on the dash says the car is in drive when you turn the key to on. The car will turn over and run fine when power is jumped directly to the selinoid(?). But then when driving it seems to be stuck in a gear. Any help is appreciated. (Starter, battery all fine) For a while I could jiggle the wires on top of the tranny to get the car to turn over, but that stopped working...HELP ME! kate snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

Reply to
kate_tales

It's may be the multi function switch on the trans.

Reply to
Lost In Space

First get a Bentley manual! I guess suggesting you buying a vag-com tool is way too much huh? lol

Then check all fuses and there is also a relay for the transmission. Are the reverse lights staying on when you turn the ign. on? AFAIK I did not think that your trans relay would cause the starter not to operate. At least not your year. Of course if the TCM thinks the trans is in Reverse or one of the Forward gears then that might stop the starter for operating also.

Any problems with the power windows, alarm or the door locks?

later, dave (One out of many daves)

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1