'97 Golf: check engine light -- erase codes

I was reading a Bently Service Manual for cars from '85 to '92 and I noticed there is a way to read the error codes from the fuel/exhausts system (sensors, misfires, etc) then erase them. It uses a jumper wire and a LED.

Is there a similar technique available for a '97 Golf? I would like to monitor and troubleshoot my car without giving $40 to a mechanic everytime my check engine light comes one.

Thank you.

Reply to
ion vaduva

I believe you need a tool to do it correctly.

dave