97 Golf - How to fix door lock?

Hi everybody,

I have a 97 Golf with a power lock system - the driver's side lock stopped working when I turn the key in the driver's door, but otherwise the lock system is working normally - i.e. when I push the button inside the car, the lock knob still moves up and down the way it's supposed to. Can anyone tell me how hard/expensive this might be to fix? If I get a service manual, is it something I could tackle myself, or should I have a mechanic do it for me? (My prior experience is limited to headlight replacement and oil changes). What service manual should I get? Also, I just got in a minor accident and need to have some body work done on the same door (probably need a new door) - what would be the most efficient way to fix the lock in conjunction with getting the door fixed?

Thank you, Jonah

Reply to
J.C.

Not sure exactly what your problem is...but see if this gives you some insight.

It helped me a while back.

Reply to
Tony Bad