97 Golf-- Rear Lights

I just bought a 1997 VW Golf. I am pleased to own my first Volkswagen, but now I am dealing with those minor tinks that come with used cars. One of which is...

Well, I guess it is not minor, since it would not pass inspection.

My problem is with the rear lights. The blinker works fine. But then if you press on the breaks while the blinker is going, it stops. We tried to change the bulbs, which did not help. The guys at the whole in the wall auto shop I went to said something about possibly replacing the whole circuit board. I hope this is not the case.

I bought my father a Chilton Manual and he plans to check it out for me. However, he does not have too much experience with Volkswagens, so any he might need some guidance. If anyone can help me out with what might be wrong, or possible things he can try and repair, I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

-Amy

Reply to
amyfortner

Open ground most likely. (It's not really a circuit board by the way although it sort of resembles one...it's a bulb tray/holder.)

Anyway, at the end of the tray is the wiring plug. In that plug is probably a brown wire (ground). That brown wire goes to the car body somewhere, most likely to a ring terminal with a screw. Make sure it's a clean and tight connection. The bulb holder really shouldn't fail unless there's some problem with corrosion or something like that.

Reply to
Matt B.

I think Matt B is right. Just add a ground wire to the left side bulb holder/tray and that should take care of both sides IIRC. Probably the ground wire is close to the left side of the vehicle maybe near the wheel well. I usually add a ground wire since the corrosion is probably at the tray itself and it is quick and fast to do so. ;-) There might even be a spare separate terminal you can add the extra ground wire to it on the tray and then down to one of the screws/bolts near the light.

JMHO

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Thanks for the help guys. I passed that along to my father and he was able to fix it. He tried to explain it to me, but all I caught was ground.

Thanks for the help! Amy

Reply to
amyfortner

ya, probably a bad or loose ground.