97 Jetta 2lt. gas wont start in rain

With any amount of humidity/rain it takes 5 to 10 minutes of cranking to get my Jetta to start. I've checked and cleaned up the distributer and rotor and there was no moisture at all. I've put methal hydrate in the gas line and all have made no differnece. What's next? Is it the coil? This car runs great and starts fine in fair weather!

Reply to
crustybunn

humidity? How long has it been sinc you last changed the HT leads?

if you are curios which lead is causing probs, wait till dark falls and ask a friend to turn the engine over/or start the car while spraying the leads/plugs area with a waster mist from a window cleaning bottle. take care from moving parts near the engine

you should see arcing where the insulation has broken down.

Reply to
beerismygas

Define "humidity". Above 30F dew point? 90F? Rain?

Does it try to "catch" any time before it actually starts? Pull a plug after cranking it a bit and see if it's wet with gas.

Which engine? The VR6's are known to have problems with the coil packs on occasion. If that's it, some have had success trying this:

It's easiest to check the plug wires in the dark with a spray bottle of water. Mist the areas and look for sparks.

?Cleaned the distributor? How's the cap and rotor look? If they've got much wear might be worth changing them anyway. The '95 calls for swapping them out every 30kmiles.

Mark '95 Jetta GLS

Reply to
Mark Randol

I will guess coil (ign. transformer). Get the engine started and mist from the spark plugs to the distributor to the ign. coil. The engine will start to miss when the water finds the problem. If it is the coil the engine will die out quickly. If you do this in the dark you will see the fireworks. ;-)

Change all ign. parts too! Spark plugs, spark plug wires, cap, rotor and coil. ;-) I only recommend the ones from the dealer. I have had limited success with aftermarket coils for the 2.0l engines.

JMHO later, dave (One out of many daves)

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1