97 Jetta-electric window

drivers' side front and rear electric windows stopped working. Everything else seems ok. Any ideas? Thanks, bill

Reply to
bill

At the same time, or separately?

Mark '95 Jetta GLS

Reply to
Mark Randol

Bill, Investigate the wiring harness. The wires pass through the A and B pillars inside a rubber accordion. The wire is very brittle and you will probably discover that there is a break there. I have fixed just about all of mine over the past few years. Good luck, CB

Reply to
Chris Burns

If pushing the buttons for the windows arms the alarm, that confirms it as wiring. The alarm not arming doesn't rule it out.

Could also be jammed window regulators, etc. Very common on these vehicles. I've replaced at least one in each door.

The motors seem pretty robust. While they fail occasionally, they seem to be well down in the failure modes.

We really need more info than "they're busted" to help diagnose it.

Mark in AZ '95 Jetta GLS

Reply to
Mark Randol

OK. thks for the responses. today the front window now works. rear drivers side window still not working. took the connector off the switch.. 6 terminals

1 yell-black 2 empty 3 red - yellow 4 brown 5 green - white 6 brown- black

with the key off i read the following voltages:

3 to 1 12v 3 to 5 12 v 3 to 4 12v 3 to 6 6v

i tried another switch from a working vw and window still dont work. is it the motor? if it was a stuck regulator wouldnt i hear the motor humming? thks bill

Reply to
bill

Reply to
eatshit