97 Jetta GLX airbag light

97 Jetta GLX

The airbag light is on.

A old VW mechanic back home told me that it could be the connection under the seat. Unfortunately, I moved away and am no longer in contact with him. Does this sound plausible? If so, how do I go about rectifying it.

Many thanks.

- Hugh

Reply to
Hugh Pasika

Without knowing the airbag fault codes it's only wasting time and money on parts! I'm a OLD mechanic and I can't remember anything under the seat on a

97 that would make the light come on. Once again... get the fault codes first.

Reply to
Woodchuck

The old VW mechanic probably was referring to when VW used a sensor in the seat to turn on the Seat Belt light in the dash maybe. The weight of a body or item was usually enough to cause the light to turn on until that related seat belt was properly fastened. And wow he is talking about a time long ago! 8^)

BTW Do what guru Woodchuck says and get the fault codes! :-) later, dave Reminder........ Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them, and you have their shoes. Frieda Norris

Reply to
dave

I bought a VAG-COM and get the following codes when I read the Airbag module.

00589 - Air-bag Ignition Circuit 1 - Passenger Side -N131

00532 - P1746 Transmission Control Module Relay - Supply Voltage (B+) Malfunction Low Battery or Bad Ground

That latter code seems weird to get for an airbag reading. Ideas?

Thanks.

- Hugh

Reply to
Hugh Pasika