97 Jetta GT rear brake caliper bracket bolts stripping

Hi

Yesterday I successfully replaced the rear brake disc and pads on the driver side rear wheel on my 97 Jetta GT. I had to go to Sears and Checker Auto 2x each to get various tools, a halogen light as it got dark, and other things :-) but it was successful. I used both the Bentley and Haynes manuals.

Today, with my knowledge gained yesterday :-), I am doing the passenger side rear. However, the two bolts with the female hex openings that hold the caliper bracket seem to thoroughly be rusted in place. I have soaked them repeatedly with some super penetrating rust buster I bought as well as some WD40. Using a socket male hex end I have been trying to loosen them up. On one of them, the socket ratchet suddenly gave way and the inside seems to be stripped out :-( and the other one has been damaged inside but not yet stripped when the male hex end suddenly popped out.

I would like some hints and help on how to get these bolts out ( obviously they will have to be replaced).

I am wishing that VW used standard bolts with normal hex bolt heads ( outside) so I could use a normal socket. They are easier to control...

Thanks for any hints and help Chad

Reply to
Chad Leigh

I suggest pounding the hex wrench into the good bolt. What is that

-- 7 mm? Also grip the outside of the bolt head with a good ViseGrip pliers. Tighten the wrench as much as you can. Apply torque with both tools at the same time.

For the bad one, perhaps you can pound a slightly bigger wrench inside. instead of 7 mm, you might get a 9/32. If it is 8 mm, try to find a 21/64. Perhaps somebody will know of an easy-out.

On the other hand, perhaps pounding the allen wrench and the ViceGrip extra-tight will be enough even on the bad screw.

Reply to
Tom's VR6

Yes, not a good choice for VW to use then style of bolts. It maybe to late but I always use Allen sockets made by Snap-on tools because they are the best and will not round out the bolts. Been-there-done-that!

Reply to
Woodchuck

Thanks to all who responded, on and off-line. I tried various things suggested.

I was able to get the one out that I descrobed as not yet stripped ( though it was stripped by the time I got it out). Vice grips to the rescue. The other one I have not been able to get out and I will probably just take it in and have a mechanic get it out.

As I am sitting on jackstands with it, I don't trust myself with a torch that close to the gas tank (it is on the same side).

I put some new pads on the old rotor for now and the car is drivable again, for now.

Thanks all Chad

Reply to
Chad Leigh

Just replaced the discs and pad on my 88 Scirocco. I used the hex wrench AND the wheel bolt wrench that comes with the car. After soaking for a few minutes with WD-40 and Liquid Wrench, I put the open end on the wheel bolt wrench over the hex wrench and had a little more leverage. Worked on both sides with some effort. The car was on jack stands as well as I had the floor jack in place as backup. Good luck! Lloyd

Reply to
LaM