97 Jetta GT ?s

I just bought a 97 Jetta GT and I have a few questions for the group.

  1. How does the alarm system work?

2 Is there a trick to the cruise control?

  1. It has 4 wheel disk brakes does this mean that they are also ABS brakes?

Thanks for your help.

Reply to
Runjgdrun

Lock the driver's door with they key from the outside and you should hear a muted beep from the horn.

Shouldn't be, but judging from my 2000 Eurovan's cruise control it's a bit "lazy" and feels disconcerting like it isn't working until you get used to it.

Switch the cruise from off to on, wait at least 2 seconds (I find if I don't wait then it won't remember the speed I set it at), then pull the switch to resume briefly and it should set to the desired speed although it'll drop off in speed a little bit but first but it'll catch back up. For example, if I set it at 70mph, it'll feel like it didn't take and it'll drop off to about 67 but then it'll catch right back up again to 70mph.

FWIW, my cruise seems to be a bit lame when setting and resuming speed...it takes a while before the engine really feels like it got the signal to do it. Like if I hit the brakes and the cruise cancels and the car drops to

60mph and I hit resume, it feels like it "thinks" about it for a good 5 seconds before it really starts to try to get back up to speed.

Not sure if the GTs came with ABS but you should have a ABS indicator lamp on your dash somewhere if you have ABS.

Reply to
Matt B.

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Good for you! I just traded in a 97 GT for a 03 1.8t jetta wagon

Turn the key in the door to lock it. when the horn beeps the alarm is activated. If any door is opened without unlocking a door the horn honks repeatedly until you put the key in the door and unlock it.

I never used it much but I think you just move the switch to on and when you are driving the desired speed push the set button on the end of the stalk. The gas pedal will drop out from under your foot. Holding the set button makes your 'dub accellerate so don't press too long.

Nope. Just four wheel discs. Plenty of stopping power with good pads. Avoid cheap auto parts store pads like a plague.

Your Welcome

Trent

Reply to
Trent Liles