97 Jetta rear view mirror re-glue

97 Jetta rear view mirror fell off. Most cars have a set screw that is loosened to remove a disc that is glued to the glass. Then the mirror is secured to the disc. This mirror assembly has no set screw. Does anyone know the correct procedure for this repair?
Reply to
ringer75

Oh, i'ts an ideal chance to get yourself an auto-dim mirror :) The brand new ones from VW Golf4 are about 100 euros. On ebay probably less. The electrical side is easy - the mirror just needs +12V and that's it. Think about this :)

The rest is pretty simple. Carefully clean both surfaces from the old glue, grease etc. Then get yourself some proper sized wooden stick, which you will need to support the mirror in position. Next, adjust the "foot" of the mirror in such a way, that when you put the mirror in place, the mirror itself does not obstruct the basement (also, should be bent all the way towards up). Next, support the mirror with stick, one side of the stick should rest on the mirror "foot", another - somewhere in the handbrake area. Practice it first without a glue, until you are confident, you are able to do it without moving the mirror. Get a proper glue (from professionals), superglue on cyanacrylat basis will NOT last for long. Cover the glass around mirror with some masking tape (especially the "down" direction). It will help you to properly place the mirror, and you will not ruin your glass if you apply too much glue and it runs down. Then apply some glue to the mirror foot, put your mirror in place, support it with stick and leave it to rest overnight. Will hold forever (proper glue and clean surfaces provided).

Reply to
draugaz

"any" local auto parts store carry the glue kit!

Reply to
Woodchuck

I use 5 minute epoxy. Clean the glass well and mark the area you wish to position the mirror in. I usually put a trouble light at the marked area to provide heat. Mix up the epoxy and apply a little to both the glass and the mirror mount. Position mirror correctly in the marked area and hold for at least 5 minutes. I have used duct tape to help hold it over a longer period, esp. if it is only that little disc.

That is what works for me. ;-)

later, dave (One out of many daves)

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

I work with a lot of epoxies as part of what I do. There is a small "gotcha" with these items. Although they solidify in 5-10 minutes, they only have about 10-15% of their final bond strength at that time. Full bond strength, generally in the 2500+PSI range, ramps up slowly over the next 24 hours. Therefore, if doing something like a mirror, you might want to keep a prop rod in it for a few hours, at least. Or, just realize the bond is "tender" for the first 24 hours.

Dave Glos

Reply to
DLGlos

good tip Dave Glos! ;-)