97 vw jetta

Auto transmission, recently serviced but did not fix the problem i was having. The car will not go when in R or D until car reaches operating temp then it is jumpy at start and shifts roughly into second. Had serviced cause i thought it might have been trans fluid and filter but did not fix the problem. Any advice?

Reply to
dannyT via CarKB.com

I personally don't have an automatic. VW automatics are generally not at long term reliable as manual transmissions. However I believe the newer heavier duty diesel automatics and those associated with turbo engines seem to be heavier duty. You don't mention what kind of engine so I am assuming you have an 2.0L.

The recent service could have produced these problems. You can try to reset the transmission learning mode with a VAGCOM or other OBD-II VW compatible. This might help the tranny learn how to shift properly again.

Who serviced the tranny? VW dealer? Local shop? You? That year you can still check the tranny fluild with a dipstick? Check it when it's at operating temp. Have the tranny reset with the OBD and take it for a highway cruise. Have a cell phone handy just in case. You will know soon if it will settle down or if it is still having issues.

Reply to
Peter Parker

I have been told that using the PROPER VW approved trans fluid will make the shifts nice. Maybe your transmission needs to have it pressures checked. :-( If the fluid is low that might cause your problem too, but since it was just serviced then it "should" be full.

good luck

Reply to
One out of many daves