98 beetle intermitent odometer problem

I have a 98 new beetle 2.0L 5 speed. The odometer will stop tabulating mileage, but the display will still show the mileage where it stopped (i.e., the display works, but stuck at whatever mile even if I keep driving). If I take the speedometer cluster out, unplug and then replug in the odometer wiring, the odometer will then show the correct mileage (it catches up). It will work for awhile, then quit again. Is this the speedo cluster, or the odometer sending unit? Any way of testing, or is it easiest to start with replacing the sending unit or speedo cluster and see if that fixes it? Where is the mileage stored? TIA Chris

Reply to
chris

Does the odometer and MPH die at the same time?

Reply to
Woodchuck

No- the MPH, gas gauge, Tach, and idiot lights continue to work- it is only the odometer and the trip odometer that freezes. There are two different wire harnesses on the back- I think the odometer may be on it's own harness.

Reply to
chris

The I'm going to say you have a faulty cluster. Since the MPH still works and the odometer doesn't that means the cluster is still getting the speed signal.

Reply to
Woodchuck