98 Cabrio- A/C evaporator housing inspection

My wife's Cabrio has water coming in from the evaporator cover.

I found the drain through the firewall and it looks like the flapper might have been held closed by the fire-retardent insulation that covered it. I fixed that & shot some water up in the opening to rinse.it out.

The drain appears to be working now-- volume is low, but it is not as hot & humid as it has been lately.

I'm not sure if it is still residual water, or if there is a leak in the evaporator cover. Bentley says that in order to remove the cover the A/C must be drained, the center console removed, and the instrument panel removed.

From under the dash it looks like the outside cover of the evaporator housing is held in place by two plastic screws and a plastic strap. Is there any way to pop that cover off to see where the leak is without removing the entire dash--- and if I end up removing the dash- will I be able to do anything without draining the A/C? [if I need to do that anyway, I'll wait a few days, see if the leak remains and take it to the dealer.]

Thanks, Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht