98 Golf 2.0 CE Light

I am hoping someone may have some insight into a problem which has driven me crazy. My sister has a 98 Golf 2.0 Automatic w/ 75,000 miles. She had a check engine light on for a few months and ignored until inspection time.

I scanned it and found the following codes:

3 Faults Found: 16515 - Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor B1 S1: Signal too Low P0131 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent 17990 - Idle Adaptation Limit Reached P1582 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent 17536 - Fuel Trim: Bank 1 (Mult): System too Lean P1128 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent

I also found a broken vacuum line and replaced that, which didn't seem to make any difference. She didn't want to bother me any more and took it to a local shop. She doesn't know everything that was done...but here is list as best she can recall.

New plugs and wires and distributor cap Replaced throttle body Replaced both O2 sensors Charged a lot of $$

After this she said the light came on again and car was idling way too fast...going 20 or more with out touching gas. Before she could bring it back I checked codes and found these:

17990 - Idle Adaptation Limit Reached P1582 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent 16517 - Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor B1 S1: Response too Slow P0133 - 35-00 - -

Since she had spent a lot, she took it back. Not sure what they did, but I think they actually took car to dealer for them to do Throttle Body alignment/adaptation. (not sure of correct term)

That seemed to take care of fast idle, but since then the following code would not vanish...

16517 - Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor B1 S1: Response too Slow P0133 - 35-00 - -

The same shop told her she needed a new CAT, and replaced that.

Unfortunately CEL came on again and revealed the following codes...

16517 - Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor B1 S1: Response too Slow P0133 - 35-00 - - 17584 - Bank1: O2S (Lambda) Correction Behind Catalyst: Control Limit Reached P1176 - 35-00 - -

My sister has also reported the car stalling a couple of times and only restarting after sitting a few minutes. She also said it doesn't seem to be running hot enough...as she can drive all the way to work (15 miles) without it reaching full temp.

I have had a hard time keeping up with this, because we don't live close by...but it has gone on for a couple of months now...and seems to be getting worse rather than better.

I am hoping maybe someone has had or seen a similar situation or something in this long story makes them think of something. I hate to say it, but I am not sure place she took it knew what they were doing...and just started replacing stuff at her expense.

Anyway...any thoughts are appreciated.

she has had the car back

Reply to
Chester Drawers

WOW I can imagine that your sister spent close to $2K and the car still ain't running right. :-( Yeah that "shotgun" approach does not always work on the behalf of the owner of the car. :-( I hope they installed good parts!

I guess I would have repaired that vacuum leak like you did, then cleaned the Throttle Body, clear the codes, performed a TB Alignment and had her test it out for a few days. I believe in changing only what is wrong, not trying to change everything hoping I fix the problem by accident!

Where is she located? Dd they return the old parts to her?

Now it also sounds like her thermostat is bad which causes more running problems.

JMHO

Chester Drawers wrote:

Reply to
one out of many daves

She is in NY. I don't think the guy doing the work is dishonest, just that he doesn't really know what he is doing. You are right...she has spent about 2 grand, and now has a car that runs worse than when she started (it was running fine...just wouldn't pass inspection with CEL on) and still doesn't have an inspection sticker. This is not good and I feel bad I didn't have the time to go there and do it myself.

Reply to
Chester Drawers

Well when she sues the guy on The People's Court...........let us know!

She should get her money back, or most of it unless those things changed needed changing! The original problem does not seem to be repaired though. :-(

Anyone know of a GOOD shop in NY? I think

"might" be a good place for her to take her Golf. I think Joel is an honest person, but she/you will have to check that out. good luck!

Chester Drawers wrote:

Reply to
one out of many daves