'98 golf rear hatch leak

Getting rather wet in the hatch area of my car lately. I haven't really tried tracking it down yet, but I'm hoping others may have had some experience with this issue. No collision damage to the car. Rear glass is original. The hatch gasket seems to be intact and in good shape. Any sugguestions out there?

Tnx, Dave

Reply to
Mister Resistor

Having similar wetness problems with a '98 Jetta. Have been told it's most likely coming in around the taillights - and to replace the seal. Maybe similar issues with the Golf??

Try post at vwvortex.com - you'll get much better response that this newsgroup.

ds

Reply to
DFS

I had a leak in my '98 Golf as well. The inside wasn't wet until I opened the hatch and water came pouring out of it, so you may not be seeing the same thing I was. Anyway, where the wiring goes into the hatch, there is a rubber piece to seal the hole around the wiring, and on my car, this piece had come loose and was letting water in.

-=- Tom

Reply to
Thomas Dressel

Thomas,

I assume you mean the rubber boot over the wires up near the hatch hinge? I'll take a good look at those tomorrow, It does sound like a good possibility. Other's have mentioned the tailights not sealing well to the car but the water seems come in toward the center. It could very well be coming out the bottom of the hatch and running into the car from there.

Anyway, it is 11 degrees F here in Long Island NY at the moment, so there isn't much water dripping anywhere!

Thanks, Dave

----- Original Message ----- From: "Thomas Dressel" Newsgroups: rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled Sent: Sunday, December 19, 2004 10:42 PM Subject: Re: '98 golf rear hatch leak

Reply to
Mister Resistor

This would allow water into your hatch skin and it would leak out when you open the hatch. There should be a hole under the lock where the water would leak when moving the hatch up.

Both are very typical leaks. The tailights will leak so bad that the whole spare tire compartment becomes a swimming pool. :-)

Also rust doesn't continue below freezing, something like that.

Reply to
Peter Parker

I just started to have the same issue. I fixed the hosing around the wires in the hatch but this didn't solve the problem. You think it is the tail lights that is causing this problem?

Reply to
Holicheese

It was on my car. As it turned out the nuts holding the tailight assemblies in seemed to be a little loose and I probably could have gotten away with just tightening them. Note, there are three on each light assembly. I pulled both lights, cleaned everything up real well and replaced the foam gaskets on both sides. Car is completely dry now.

Reply to
Mister Resistor