98 Jetta and Heat Shield Rattle

Hello,

Did some searching on this but no definitive answer.. What is the best way to get rid of the rattle between 2k-3k RPM coming from the heat shield?

Thanks!

RVM

Reply to
RVM

Pardon me if this is a stupid question, but are you sure that it's the heat shield that's rattling? I remember when the original catalytic converter on my GTI went south, I misinterpreted the loose element rattling around inside as a loose heat shield. If the heat shield, attachment points, exhaust hangers, etc., all look fine, it's unlikely that a rattle would develop in the absence of non-stock changes to the exhaust system. If the cat on your

98 has never been replaced, it just might be due.

I hope this is helpful,

Kent

1987 GTI 8V, original owner
Reply to
Kent

Replace it with a new one.

Reply to
Woodchuck

I have the same problem. It is not easy to fix because there is not enough room there.

Quick fix get a hammer and hammer it.

Another way is to get a wrench #10 in Canada and tighten the 4 screws when the engine is cold or get a long screwdriver and increase the gap between the shield and the engine.

Reply to
Adam