98 Jetta fast blink turn sig/LED lights

I went through that for a long while. I eventually traced it to the right front. After several cleaning and using dielectric grease I finally bought a new socket, and no more problems.

I doubt if the wattage would even be close. They are generally more efficient. It does not take much difference to set off the system into warning mode (fast flashing) .

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Hi,

Our 98 Jetta GL gets the fast blinking turn signal which seems to mean a bad connection. I take the light out, front or back, clean the contacts, and it is good for awhile.

I'm wondering if LED lights might work better. Wattage would be about the same with the LED's I'm looking at. I realize connections can still be an issue, but I think the Jetta is too "picky". Led's would apparently be a more even load with no spike of current before a filament heats up... Also, even under a fast blink condition, the Instant- On of the LED's would at least get some light out...

thanks, ir

Reply to
IR

Reply to
Rob Guenther

That's a good idea. It seems to be the right front on this one too.

True, although the particular LEDs I'm looking at are 24 watts using hi-power leds:

Thanks much, ir

Reply to
IR

If you contrast them to burned out bulbs, they have to be an improvement. And since changing the dashboard bulbs is a considerable chore, it might be worth putting up with some degradation compared to new tungsten bulbs.

I have seen tail lights that were strobed. When looking right at the light, that was not apparent. But when scanning out of the corner of the eye, it was very distracting. Using pulse width modulation is OK, but I think they should strobe at maybe 20 kHz. 200 hz is not enough.

Reply to
Tom's VR6