'98 Jetta link errors

My step daughter's '98 Jetta failed to start after a short trip of a few blocks. I had her dad help troubleshoot and he just about started an electrical fire. I bought a scanner and got "Link Error". I ran the battery down putzing with it and put it on a charger. Came back a couple days later and got it to link up. Read P0134 "O2 sensor ckt no activity" and P0301 "cyl 1 misfire detected". Erased those codes and attempted start (fail). Tried to read codes again and got Link Error again. Any ideas out there?

Reply to
locofitter