98 Jetta radio reset problem...

You will need the radio turned on for as long as 24hours before the correct code can be entered. Depending on the radio you may only have one more try before it locked up completely.

Reply to
Woodchuck

Hi, I have a 98 Jetta GL with a Clarion made radio/cassette/CD changer. I was cleaning the battery contacts (and the ground connects under the battery) so I had to reset the radio.

I have the code but I went from memory and tried to enter the wrong number twice. Now it says "2 SAFE".

I removed the fuse from the fusebox for 24 hours but still get "2 SAFE".

This evening I disconnected the Negative battery terminal for about

2 hours. Still getting "2 SAFE".

Does anybody know what I'm doing wrong? I can think of a lot of possibilities but...

TIA IR

Reply to
IR

I have the same radio in my 96 jetta, I have never seen 2 SAFE just SAFE.

Nor do I believe its neccesary to have to leave it on for 24 hours before entering the code. I've disconnected my battery numerous times and had to take a stab at my code, ( I don't know why I don't just write it down ) 2 -

3 times I've entered the wrong code and the radio just stays in SAFE mode.

I think that if you can't find it in the manual you may have to contact a dealer.

I've just had a notion, could it mean that you have had 2 cracks at it and got it wrong? like a counter? does the right code work at all?

Reply to
Warren Abrey

Success! It only took an hour or so. When the radio got "tired" of locking me out, it shut itself off, so apparently there was no danger of draining the battery either. When I went back out and turned it on it just said "SAFE" for a few seconds and then "0000". I was in. Thanks Woodchuck.

Irv

Reply to
IR