98 Jetta Transmission Shift Indicator Problem

I have a 98 Jetta that I replaced the transmission in. Now the shift indicator on the dash shows the wrong gear. When I turn the key on the indicator shows the correct gear, then quickly moves to D. I did a scan and it indicated the Transmission indicator sensor was bad, but I can't seem to find it on the car. Neither my manual or the deal can tell me where it's located. The dealer did talk me into changing the multifunction switch on the rear of the tranny, but that didn't fix the problem.

I hope somebody can give me a hint on where it is.

Thanks Mike

Reply to
mmikemitchell

I have a 98 Jetta that I replaced the transmission in. Now the shift indicator on the dash shows the wrong gear. When I turn the key on the indicator shows the correct gear, then quickly moves to D. I did a scan and it indicated the Transmission indicator sensor was bad, but I can't seem to find it on the car. Neither my manual or the deal can tell me where it's located. The dealer did talk me into changing the multifunction switch on the rear of the tranny, but that didn't fix the problem.

I hope somebody can give me a hint on where it is.

Thanks Mike

Reply to
mmikemitchell

The multifunction switch tells the TCM what gear the trans is in.

Reply to
Lost In Space/Woodchuck

Changing the malfunction switch didn't change anything. What else could it be?

Reply to
mmikemitchell