98 Jetta VR6 Slow oil or other Leak

Just changed my oil in my 98 Jetta with 108000 miles on it. Before this my OIl Light flashed at me when I was driving home from work. It was 2.5 quarts low! I was about 3000 miles on my oil change. Nothing on the driveway where I park the Car. Someone said it could be blowing back on the other stuff under the car, and i would never see it. Just to be safe I put down a piece of cardboard overnight. It's leaking something. It seems to be a reddish color, but not thick enough to be oil. Coolant? Trans Fluid? The Trans Fluid was changed at 1000,000 miles by VW. The Next day there was oil on the cardboard. Not a lot though. So does anyone Know how to check/change the seals on the oil cooler? Is this possible to do, without having VW do it for Big Bucks? Question #2 how can you tell if the Trans is Leaking? It looks like there is a shield around it? That may have been a dumb ? but I just started changing my own oil and It's my first front wheel drive Car.

Please Help

Reply to
Mac

none2u

Thanks, That seems to be the correct way and safest. I thought it was the oil cooler because I read some of the other discussions about it. Does anyone know where the oil cooler exactly is on a 98 Jetta vr6? I;m thinking that its up past the oil filter canister/housing, on the engine block.

Thanks these groups are Great.

Reply to
Mac

Yep.