'98 Passat stereo in SAFE mode

Just to let (anyone interested) know that sometimes there ARE happy endings... My radio was stuck in SAFE 2 mode 'cause I mis-remembered my code (twice); after a week or so of no radio, I posted here to ask for advice, and the advice I got was to wait - overnight, with a battery charger. Didn't work. Left the radio on (smugly indicating its SAFE status) for 18 hours straight. Have been driving it for weeks now with the radio always on, hoping to outwait the damn thing... and nothing. The silence was deafening.

Until yesterday afternoon, in the middle of an otherwise horrible day, my radio suddenly displayed those glorious digits 1000 - and me, I remembered my code correctly! And remembered to press and hold "right-scan" instead of "bass"! Rejoice with me, oh my Volkswagen brethren and sistren! I - HAVE - STEREOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

thanks for listening... MT Head

Reply to
MT Head

Hey that sounds good! lol

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

The VW gods were shinning on your car!

Reply to
Woodchuck

Congratulations!!!

Reminds me of the time I tried to fix the FM radio for my parents in their Volvo.... took their stereo apart first thing in the morning at work (I'm in training to be an electrician at my companies training centre, my instructor was enthusiastic when I wanted to rip thru a car stereo at work :-) ). And resoldered all the connections for the antenna, and cleaned out the volume know (crackled)... Anyhow, I didn't have the code, and was entering numbers I saw on the radio....

Reply to
Rob Guenther

U 'r lucky Mr. Head, Some people have all the luck. I bought mine used 3 weeks ago, a '93 eurovan model and the radio manual said nothing about the code and there is no single Volkswagen dealer in my area to take the radio to for a new code. I guess thats my luck. dont u think

-- opunarms

View this thread:

Send from

opunarms