'98 Passat V6 Valve Cover Gasket Repair?

My 1998 Passat V6 has leaky valve cover gaskets, which I understand is a common problem with at least that year of car. Anyway, my mechanic has given me a quote of almost $600 to repair......this seems excessive to me. Normally this is something I would try to undertake myself, but I understand that the mechanic usually budgets 6 hours of time to do this and that it's not as easy on the V6 Passat as on other vehicles.

So.....my questions are: Is the gasket replacement on the V6 such a hard job after all? Is $600 truly excessive for this, or is that much labor really involved? If it is excessive, what would an "average" quote for this service be? Thanks!

Reply to
Steve Peglar

It's not just the VC gaskets that leak but also the camshaft adjustor gaskets which covers 99% of the time the cause of the leak.

Reply to
Woodchuck