98 VW Jetta GL 2.0L gas - Electrical Problem - Help!

VW Enthusiasts... Have this weird electrical problem... Any help suggestions Welcome! I am sure this is not an isolated issue... I am the originl owner of the car - Overall the car has been decent - but this electrical problem is driving me nuts..

The Problem: Intermitently the Windshield wipers, Lights, Blower stop working while I am driving -- I can here something Arcing while this is happening somewhere- The car keeps running fine - but it really quite dangerous to loose your driving lights and windshield wipers at night. On the dash for some reason the Brake light comes on faintly - It is as if part of the core electrical system is failing intermitantly -- I here arcing noise somewhere round the dash but I have no clue where to start

-- All the fuses are fine -- I am not sure which relay to check -- Maybe it is someting in wiring harness soemwhere? I tried to figure out if there is a pattern -- IT appears this problem is getting more and more frequent - Soon I will not be able to drive this car at night becasue the lights keep failing.

I am somewhat disappointed with VW - I have owned 4+ VWs -- This Mexicn build model hasn't really lived up to what I expected in the electrical department.

Reply to
Stephen

replace the electrical switch behind your ignition key. It's a $17 part here:

this happened to my wife's 96 jetta (now gone). You have to come up from behind the ignition. There is a screw holding the switch in.

Dave

Stephen wrote:

Reply to
David Sykes