99.5 coolant leak...need some insight

I have recently joined the ranks of the ownership of VW!! My 99 Jetta has sprung a coolant leak. I haven't been able to find the source. It only leaks/dribbles when the engine is cool. When running at better-than-highway speeds or humming at idle for long periods the coolant stays inside. When the engine is completely cold it happens.

Any insight from the VeeDub faithful is greatly appreciated!

-Fred

Reply to
Fred T. Mahusay

My '77 Audi 80 (that's an Audi Fox in the US, I think) used to show precisely this behaviour. It was the water pump. Not terribly expensive as I remember. (I'm aware that the cars are rather different, but their engines are virtually the same.)

Yours, Erik.

Reply to
Erik Meltzer

||Hi Volks! || ||"Fred T. Mahusay" wrote: ||> I have recently joined the ranks of the ownership of VW!! My 99 Jetta has ||> sprung a coolant leak. I haven't been able to find the source. It only ||> leaks/dribbles when the engine is cool. When running at better-than-highway ||> speeds or humming at idle for long periods the coolant stays inside. When ||> the engine is completely cold it happens. || ||My '77 Audi 80 (that's an Audi Fox in the US, I think) used to ||show precisely this behaviour. It was the water pump. Not ||terribly expensive as I remember. (I'm aware that the cars are ||rather different, but their engines are virtually the same.)

Our 2000 NB starting leaking coolant a few months ago, turned out to be the WP. $400 to change it, either at the dealer or an independent. You might as well change the timing belt at the same time, so add another $200. Fortunately, ours turned out to be covered under the 100K mile drivetrain warranty, after some haggling with VWOA. Texas Parts Guy

Reply to
Rex B

Go under the car and follow the pink trail, it will take you where the leak is. (if you are still using the factory coolant) It could come from many sources, my rado leaked from the freeze plugs, right on the back of the engine. It could also be the coolant flange, where the hose is connected to the engine block. If it leaks from the water pump, it could be detected by checking under the engine by thepassangers side.

Good luck

better-than-highway

Reply to
Eduardo B.