A/C compressor 86 Jetta

My a/c quit working. When I went to have the coolant replaced, we noticed that the low side dropped to zero and then rose slightly. Looking at the expansion valve intake we saw there were hard nodules inside. The suggestion was that the A/C compressor was blown. Is that correct? If yes, can I replace the compressor without putting the car on a lift?

Since I am in Houston, A/C is needed ;^)

Thanks,

Steven C. Perkins

Reply to
Steven C. Perkins

I won't venture an opinion on that

If you do not have power steering, getting the compressor in or out from above is very easy. With power steering it may be more crowded under there, but you should still be able to do it from above.

How much other work are you going to do, to make sure the new compressor won't get damaged by existing debris in the system? Are you refilling with R-12 or R134a? I am asking, as I have an '87 with the original A/C. It works well now, but it may not last forever.

Reply to
Randolph

That's strange.

Yep. The only way. You may want to first check your pressure switches before you put in another compressor.

You'll survive. There are lots of Jeepers without A/C in TX and they seem to be okay. :)

Reply to
Peter Parker