A/C problems in current VWs

If any dealer mechanics are around, I have a question for you.

It seems that there have been quite a few A/C compressor failures in the

2006+ VWs.

From reading VWVortex forums, my impresison is that Initially the compressors were thought to be at fault.

Then it seemed that the problem was identified as dessicant leaking from the receiver drier and jamming one or more valves open in the compressor. And that this was exacerbated by the design of the compressor which has very tiny valves (compared to a Sanden compressor).

And lately someone said the problem was caused by a faulty "Japanese" filter. (Perhaps he was referring to the receiver drier?)

Can anyone shed any light on this issue?

Thanks,

Bill

Reply to
William Maslin

Heard this was the cause.

Then it seemed that the problem was identified as dessicant leaking from the receiver

VW has a tech bulletin on how we should be fixing the problem. As to how many failures... I think it's a small amount overall since over the last year we only done fewer than 10 cars.

Reply to
Lost In Space/Woodchuck

Reply to
none2u

Thanks, Woodchuck. I knew you'd have the answer. One reason I'm curious about this issue is that I have two cars (06 GTI and 07 Passat) with these A/C systems. I'm hoping they'll conk out before the warranty runs out.

Bill

Reply to
William Maslin

They will...

sooner than later

Reply to
LG

Mine did. Just got it back today, in fact--'06 GTI w/ 25k on it. Tried the A/C a few weeks ago; chirp, lurch...bye bye compressor.

Reply to
Dave