A Quick Question

Hi there!

Unfortunately, I don't have a manual for my 2000 Jetta GL, 2.0 Manual

- so I have to ask you all this quick question.

Perhaps 1/3 to 1/2 of the times I start my car (morning, noon, and night - the time/tempurature of the day doesn't seem to matter) the water tempurature warning light in the dash will beep at me (three long [loud] beeps) and blink for about one or two minutes after that. Upon being driven a little ways, the light always stops blinking - turning off completely. I've tried to pay attention to the running tempurature of the car and, if anything, it's been running just a little cool [however, I have been doing a whole LOT of freeway driving on cool mornings...]. I'm hoping that it's just trying to tell me that I'm a little low on coolant, but I fear that it's trying to tell me that there's something seriously wrong with the car.

So - does anyone here know what my car is trying to say to me?

Reply to
Mister.Lull

"You are a little low on coolant... and when it expands it is not low enough to trip the sensor. Ignore my warnings further and you will be a LOT low on coolant with all the subsequent consequences. Furthermore, when you do add the coolant (cold to "COLD MAX" level), pay scrupulous attention to me for at least two weeks following."

All in three little beeps... amazing.

Peter Wieck Wyncote, PA

Reply to
pfjw

Reply to
One out of many daves

VERY nice! Thank you gentlemen!

...however, when you say to use the CORRECT coolant - does that mean that normal antifreeze/coolant is not acceptable?

Reply to
Mister.Lull

Yessir. That is exactly the case.

Peter Wieck Wyncote, PA

Reply to
pfjw

...you learn something new every day. Thanks, Pete!

Reply to
Mister.Lull

True in general but for such a small amount, just use some distilled water and don't worry about coolant. For an amount this small it's not going to upset the balance significantly.

*Do* keep an eye on the level after that. It shouldn't drop much if at all. Should be able to go for months without it tripping the light. If it goes low again in a few days or a week or two, you have a leak somewhere.
Reply to
Matt B.