A1 Front Engine Mount

Hello

I have and 84 Scirocco and want to replace the front engine mount. Can it be installed fairly easily? If so how? Will it put stress on the exhaust? Any info would be appreciated

Thanks Matt

Reply to
mclayson

When you say front do you mean towards the front of the car (radiator) or front of the engine (passenger side)? Front of the car is easy, front of the engine is a real PIA. You can hang the engine on just 3 of the 4 mounts but it is easier if you use a floor jack with block of wood between it and the oil pan.

HTH Steve

Reply to
sehaare

Also if it is the front of the car mount Techtonics makes a harder rubber unit that is supposedly easier on the exhaust (if you are running an aftermarket downpipe)

nate

sehaare wrote:

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Yes, yes, no. Get a manual.

Reply to
Woodchuck

It's not really a mount just a support. Just undo all the bolts and replace it. Or do you mean the right one, gearbox side? For this you need a jack to support the box/engine.

SFC

"mclayson" schreef in bericht news:qZVOc.1352073$ snipped-for-privacy@twister01.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com...

Reply to
SFC

Sorry for the delay in responding. It is the mount under the radiator.

Matt

Reply to
mclayson

Matt,

The front mount is rather easy to replace. Just remove the bolts, pull out the bracket, pull off the old mount, push the new one on, and put everything back together. That mount doesn't really support the weight of the engine, it's there mainly to control the rocking of the engine. Since the bolts also hold the starter in place, I would disconnect the battery before you start.

The rear mount is fairly easy to replace too. Just unbolt it, pull it out, and bolt a new one in. It would probably be a good idea to provide some support under the tranny, but I've pulled the back mount several times with no other support.

The drivers side mount on the tranny end is a bit harder. You'll need to support the engine/tranny with a cross beam between the fenders, and take the weight off the mount before unbolting it. It has been a while since I replaced this one, but I think it has to be pressed in and out of the housing.

The passenger side mount on the end of the engine is the toughest of all. You have to support the engine, then remove the cam belt covers and whatnot to be able to get access to that rather restricted area. This mount has to be pressed in too. Replacing that mount is not a fun job.

Anthony

Reply to
HerHusband

As others have said, it's not a difficult job. However, one or both (I can't remember) of the fasteners that attach the mount to the engine are really the same bolts that attach the starter to the block. These bolts either have hex drive or triple square (12 point) socket heads. Be careful not to strip them. My 82 convertible has hex drive socket heads, but I think the 84s have 12 point heads.

Bill

78 Rabbit...10/77 - 4/02 82 Convertibles(s)...since 93 95 Golf GL...since 11/99 02 Passat 1.8T Tip GLS...since 4/02
Reply to
William Maslin