A1 Rear struts bump stop

I'm upgrading all the springs and struts on my 81 rabbit convertible. Started out on the rears. I'm going from Cheapo to Boge. On the old rear struts the bump stop and protective sleeve were held up at the top of the strut right below the upper spring retainer by a big ledge on the strut shaft. On the new boges there is no ledge just a circlip (snap ring) and the Bump stop falls to the bottom of the strut. Looking at the drawing in the Bentley it shows a spacer that goes on top of the circlip. I have the spacer. If I were to put the bump stop on top of the spacer I think that it might stay up. But the drawing seems to show that the spacer goes on top of the bumpstop. Should the bumpstop be at the bottom or top of the strut or does it matter? (I know on the front struts they stay at the top). If the answer is the top what holds it up.

As always thanks in advance for any help Steve

Reply to
sehaare

I don't think it matters... When the bumpstop bumps, the top and bottom are at the same point :-)

Reply to
93 Fox

Does this page help?

-Antony H

Reply to
Antony Hilliard

Thanks for the page Antony, I actually got my question answered on vortex

Thanks again Steve

Reply to
sehaare