A1 Scirocco (1983) Oil Temp/Sensor Question

My '83 Scirocco is giving me some hassles with the oil pressure warning light and buzzer (in-dash). It's going off after a while of driving (especially at lower RPM's, usually below 3000, but higher if I'm driving

120 for an extended period of time).

The Oil Temp gauge is reading rather high in my opinion (upwards of 120-130 Celsius), even while driving at average speeds (less than 100kms/hr). Usually in the past it's maintained a steady 80-100 Celsius, MAYBE hitting

110 or even 120 if I'm driving at/over 130 km/hr for a while, so this increase is a concern for me.

It's also annoying because while driving on the highway/freeway, as the buzzer sounds and the light flashes, I have to rev the engine to over 3000 or higher to get the buzzer to stop and the warning light to go out.

Then, approximately 4 seconds later, the buzzer and light both kick in again until I rev higher again (or let off the gas - sometimes this works too, depending on the speed I'm going. The faster I'm driving, the easier it is to just let off the gas to negate the warning light/sound). I timed it for a while, and it's every 4 seconds.

The Coolant Temp is just fine (the gauge reads about half-way or a little above) so it's not a coolant problem.

I'm thinking it's a problem with my Oil Pump, that it's not pumping the oil regularly or fast enough, or maybe it's getting clogged and not able to transfer the oil efficiently and quickly enough (and so it's heating up more quickly?) so I am putting this out there to get some opinions. Any comments?

I'd appreciate any and all feedback. Thanks in advance.

Reply to
VW Rally Racer

What weight oil do you have in there?

Reply to
John Rutledge

It's 10W30 right now. Of course, it could be the 2 sensors too - just thought of that, but not sure. Dang it.

Reply to
VW Rally Racer