A1 Sirocco->Rabbit seat swap

Hi there,

Payed a visit to my local junkyard (Malahat Auto Wreckers, turns out to be VW mecca) and now am thinking about getting some more comfortable seating in my 84 Rabbit GTI.

Aside, best of luck to C.J. in finding an unmolested black Rabbit, those are some sharp looking cars... mine's silver!

The Q:

Has anyone swapped Sirocco seats into a Rabbit? I know it's possible, but is it worthwhile for tall people?

I am 6'5" and love the GTI's Recaros, I just want more legroom and more headroom, backseat passengers be damned.

I have heard that you have to slice off & re-weld one of the adjustment handles (slide or raise, I can't remember) in order to make Sirocco seats fit Rabbits.

Also, can I keep all of my Recaro bolsters and just switch the steel mounting frame?

Reply to
Antony Hilliard

The Scirocco seats should sit closer to the floor - giving more headroom. However, at 6' 5" if you want headroom you should be looking at a Kenworth. An 84 Scirocco has more headroom than an 84 Rabbit despite having a lower roofline. The Scirocco seats should be a better fit. Maybe you won't have to lean back at an 85 degree angle.

Chris

Ant> Hi there,

Reply to
Chris

You don't have to do a thing. A1 seats all interchange, the only difference is that the Scirocco mounts lower than the stock Wabbit seats. Corrado seats also drop right in and mount at the same height as the Scirocco seats. I've done it, it works. I ASSume that therefore A2 Golf/Jetta seats are interchangeable with A1 Wabbit/Jetta as well, but I haven't tried that.

As for the mix 'n' match you're proposing, I don't know how that will work out. You may be able to make it work, I dunno.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

I have heard that some folks have extended the channels on the floor (of Sciroccos)so the seat can go back farther. (And either extended the snout that slides in the front support (adjustment) or created a new support farther back.)

Chris

and more

Reply to
Chris

I'm just under 6'2", and once tried putting a MKII Scirocco seat in my A1 Jetta. Great headroom, but I felt like I fell into a bucket with by a** scraping the road. Reaching up for everything was not a great feeling; I canned that idea pretty quickly. HTH, H2Only

Reply to
H2Only

You lost me! What's a Kenworth?

Reply to
Antony Hilliard

Wicked, thank you for giving me the 'I tried it' experience. Did the seat swap by any chance give you any more legroom? Was the ass-on-the-road feeling there even with the seat raised all the way 'up' with the height adjustment lever?

-A

(Hit the Highway?)

Reply to
Antony Hilliard

It really depends on how long it's been since Barbie's had a date :P

nate

(serious answer - Kenworth is a brand of semi tractors)

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Hi Antony, Lowering the seat will decrease legroom (unless it will go back further). This is an interesting thread: I'll want different seats for my V8 Cabriolet project, & I'm thinking about sectioning it - the lower seats would be perfect... ~ Paul aka "Tha Driver"

Reply to
ThaDriver

No more legroom, my knees were kind of up in the air. Hope This Helps H2Only

Reply to
H2Only